Saturday, January 2, 2010

Avatar

Let me say I really enjoyed the film.   It was beautiful, I liked the love story, and better anti corporate pro environment than the opposite.

But I walked away with a slight nagging dissatisfaction.  So I'm trying to figure out why and here is what I came up with:

1.  In evoking those old movies of white man joins native american tribe, falls in love with daughter of chief, tries to save from other white men, the piece (that was always in those old movies) of the jealous warrior who is jealous of the newcomer was just too ....... UNORIGINAL.   It bothered me that the imitation was so mechanical.   Maybe they should have presented the movie as a remake, then our expectations would have beenlowered.

2. The lack of any gray  area between the greedy corporate types and environmentalists lead me to feel it was just too shallow.   What's to be learned when good and evil are so simple?

Now here I sound like those folks I usually don't like who won't appreciate a movie with good intentions because it doesn't meet their unrealistically high standards.   They're never happy.   It's just I wanted to like this movie even more.

So, I'll repeat.   I liked the movie.   I like the movie.   Go see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment