Thursday, October 29, 2009

Take A Bath, For Blog's Sake

OK. I just took a bath. (That's meant to be a twitter parody....like anybody cares?) but what happened after I got sleepy and stopped reading is free floating that led to many blog ideas. Don't worry...I'll hold some in abeyance in a little journalforblog of future ideas. But my advice to any blogger with writer's blog is take a bath and just let it flow.

So now I'll introduce my father. Abe saw it as is job in life to love my mother. He did a good job at that. He was also prickly, eccentric, considerate, very responsible, a bit of a hermit, and liked for people to think of him in those ways.

Au contraire he had his own social wisdowm.

Case in point. About 1953 when I was nine, I had some kind of high drama fight with my parents which brought me to the point of running away. I packed up my oversized boy scout backpack with a sleeping bag, grabbed 10 cans of cat food and my white cat, Pom, and emerged to the "TV room" announcing my departure. While my mother looked apoplectic, my dad, said enjoy yourself and be safe. Pride wounded because they didn't protest, I marched out, went around the block (Newark, NJ) and came back into our apartment. My Dad looked up from a book and said, "I'm glad your back." and that was it. Fight over, rebellion over, one happy family again.

The first memory of my Dad that came floating up in the aforementioned bath was his weekly late Sunday morning nap on the floor of our living room. We lived on the second floor of a two and a half and it was pretty nice, with a lot of light streaming in the windows. He looked so at peace. The sun made him look almost angelic. The bald head was just sopping up the rays and glistening in the light. Why did he take his naps on the floor? I still don't know. But if I did bother him sleeping, the response was always the same, "Why don't you go take a run around the block."

Not bad advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment