Monday, April 26, 2010

Holding the Tape

This weekend I assisted a canvass maker in measuring Fortune for a sun cover over the cockpit.   At one point, he asked me to hold the tape measure.  This reminded me of an earlier tape measure experience.   At some point in my toddler life, my father would occasionally take me with him in his truck to do work estimates.   My father laid, scraped and refinished wood floors.   He usually had two work crews to drop off each day and then would do other customer service or office work, or go out on estimates.   He had a lot of customers down the Jersey Shore...big old Victorian type mansions.   So (assuming I was lacking other child care) he would pack me up in the 1938 panel truck or the new 1948 Dodge panel truck and I would ride with him and (best of all) hold the tape while he measured the floors.   I really felt useful.   Besides it was fun.

My dad was pretty perceptive about kids, and had the insight that kids didn't like long car rides because they were too short to see out the window.   So he built me some kind of sit up seat so I could see the world going by.

On one of these trips he asked me to interpret the following riddle:

Time Flies
I cannot
They go too fast

I had to be told to make the "time" into a hortatory verb.   I've subsequently stumped many folks with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment