Thursday, November 12, 2009

Spritualism vs Religion????

Many years ago someone said to me.   I'm not religious, I'm spiritual.   I was very impressed, probably because I didn't understand what this person was trying to say.   Now I realize this is a pretty common blow off to religion based on all the negative things that sometimes occur in religion's name.....materialism, war, child molestation, etc.

A recent article in the Forward (originally a yiddish language Daily) by Jay Michaelson, posits that religion is actually spirituality.  He means not the organization, church or synagogue, but the experience....and not all the experience at that.   But people practice religion voluntarily.   He argues that the piece of religion that attracts people to practice is spirituality, and that the easily adopted dichotomy between religion and spirituality is misleading.   I'll have to think about this a bit, but tend to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment