Friday, December 25, 2009

What do Jews Do on Christmas? II

Abe and Harriet Becker, my parents, were married by Rabbi Zinn in Newark, NJ on December 24, 1939.  I have grainy footage of them leaving the wedding ceremony in snow with three living parents (my grandparents, my) their siblings and spouses and climbing into my father's old panel truck.  

I always wondered whether there was some special reason for a Jewish couple getting married on Christmas Eve. I never got to ask them, so I will never know.....

Where did they go on their honeymoon in that truck?

They went to what West Virginians would call a camp, somewhere near the tri state border of New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.   A friend had loaned them a cabin for the honeymoon.   (Remember this was still the end of the depression.)  The previous weekend, my father had gone up to the cabin and sealed the cracks in the walls by covering the thing with roofing (tar) paper.

I also have movies of the honeymoon.....of my father walking to the outside well and pumping water into a bucket, of my mother entering the outhouse, and ultimately of my father ice skating on a frozen pond.   Like me he was a pretty good athlete, a good skater, but moved with a kind of jerky stiff motion.   They looked:

REAL COLD
IN LOVE
REAL HAPPY

49 years later when my mother died they:

HAD KEPT EACH OTHER REAL WARM IN BED
WERE STILL IN LOVE
WERE PRETTY HAPPY


No comments:

Post a Comment