Thursday, December 17, 2009

World's Best Latkes Recipe

Last night of Hannukah tonight.   I'll be making latkes big time.

This was my mother's from a cookbook called, "So Eat My Darling."   I have altered the cookbook recipe by doubling the pepper and doubling the oinions.   (Don't do it again!)

Here's the recipe:

6 medium potatoes
1 large onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons flour
 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
cooking oil

I believe two techniques I learned from my morther are crucial:

1.   Grate the potatoes and onions.   Do not use a food processor.   You'll lose the good texture.  I use my getting to be antique kitchen aid with the grater attachment.

2.  Squeeze the  water thoroughly out of the grated onion/potato mix before adding the other ingredients.   This way you can get away with this little flour, so they taste more like a fritter than a cake.  I guess the professional way to do this is cheese cloth.   I generally use an old dish towel.   The best method I've used is to use some stockings.  I've bought dollar store variety and wash them once before use them.The ergonomics for squeezing are really good.  Since the latkes made with this reciped are still a bit fragile, I use two spatulas to turn them.

Hint: if the heat in your pan is not even center to edge, it's worth spinning each side 180 degrees, so they cook evenly.

Am I demonstrating hubris with my world's best title?   No, Roz once introduced me to Abby's grade school class as the world's best latke chef.   Of course the kids didn't get the joke, so that title has stuck.   The proof of the latke:  the family made me an apron with the words "World's Best  Latkes Maker," ......probably should be my epitaph.





No comments:

Post a Comment