Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Family Culture: US/Mexico

Having volunteered to play music for an upcoming Cinco de Mayo celebration in Morgantown, I was recently introduced by one of the organizers, to a Mexican musician somewhat new to Morgantown.   He is working at a local store and also volunteered to play music.   His son plays bass, he sings and plays a 12 string guitar.   They needed an accordion.   That's me.

So we've had two rehearsals.  He speaks no English, I no Spanish.   For the first two rehearsals he has not only showed up with his son the bass player, but wife, several children, spouses, and grandchildren.   I can't imagine being asked to rehearse with someone and bringing along my family.   But it's great.  It's an instant party.  I'm really enjoying it.   Who knows what friendship and music this will bring?


No comments:

Post a Comment