Sunday, March 7, 2010

Practicing for Showcase

April 4 I'm doing a musical showcase...just me.   Kind of a self indulgent thing I've always wanted to do.   In this case I was invited by Ro Brooks Director of the Monongalia Arts Center.   So at least someone but me wants this.

My concept is - classical piano, blues piano, klezmer accordion.   Hopefully the whole is equal to more than the sum of the parts.   I have been working on the classical music for over a month.   For a while I made pretty good progress.  However I'm making glazier pace progress on the Bach.  I'm a pretty fierce and efficient practicer, so it's got me a bit puzzled.   I realized, however, the parts that are giving me fits are ones I had problems with 40 years ago and never solved.   It may be they are over my head technically.   I'm determined however to push hard on them, so I'm focusing hours of practicing on abou 8 lines of music.  Hope it works....which would maybe mean I had actually advanced technically.

I haven't rehearsed the klezmer at all, and barely thought about the blues....which will be all improvised.    So a lot depends there on the mood of the moment.    I will try some things out so I have a little pallet to paint from.

My other challenge is to not practice too much.   Too much would mean enough stress on the old fingers to wake up my dormant finger arthritis.   I may have gone a bit far this weekend.  I'll have to back off.   Hopefully the stiffness and pain will recede.   ......Not practice too much?   HaHaHa.   Seriously I like and sometimes love to practice.....though I havent' practiced classical in 40 years.

In late breaking news, the showcase will be a two becker event (boy that sounds dangerous.)   Nina will be showing some fantastic pieces from her mid MFA show called Thank G_d for Mississippi.

Please join us.

April 4
3:00 p.m.
MAC
High Street, Morgantown

No comments:

Post a Comment