Thursday, February 4, 2010

Early Rejection

In the second grade (Newark) I got an intense crush on my teacher Miss Raisin.   She was tall and slim and my first African American teacher.   She looked and acted like an angel to me.   All I actually remember about the 2nd grade experience is that Miss Raisin took the class down to Penn Station in downtown Newark to get a tour of the brand new coast to coast elegant train, the Phoebe Snow.   (What's the connection with the later singer of the same name?)   Anyway the train was decorated all in white and made a big impression.   Can you imagine a teacher taking school kids today to see a train?   or even being a new train?

Anyway in third grade, I was on safety patrol on the corner of Clinton Place and Nye Ave.   A student stepped off the curb too early and refused to get back up.   So I took him to report him to his teacher.....Miss Raisin.   well when we both told our story he lied about what happened.   Can you believe this.... she believed him.   Oh boy did that hurt!

(I looked to see if I already told this story, and didn't see it, but somehow I may now be repeating myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment