Friday, February 12, 2010

Why are Jews so Glum?

Some time ago, Abby and I performed some Klezmer music at our local Black Bear restaurant.   A supporter and fan did come up to us and ask, did we know any songs in major keys.   The answer....not really.

If you're not Jewish and have ever wondered why Jews seem to have this sad dark side, read this song with lyrics by Miriam Harel composed within the Lodzh ghetto and performed  By Brave Old World "fin Geto Lodzh."   I'm not sure who translated from Yiddish

WINTER 1942
My mother and father lie in the cemetery
My brother has been deported
My sister is bent over and sick
And I am crushed by hunger

Not a spoonful of food in the house
No bread, not even a carrot to be seen
I've even forgotten how to chew
And the table is empty and bare

There is no mercy from on high
The devil sits there and laughs
At the orphans and widows
Locked up in the Lodz Ghetto

I walk around like a old person
My eyes moist and red
The sky is cold and dark
And tomorrow will bring only death


That should put a stop too those who are now complaining about our West Virginia winter of 2010.....

No comments:

Post a Comment