Friday, February 19, 2010

Open mike blues in Brussels

I got to go to Brussels in November to attend and present a poster on the aging workforce in Construction.     My little poster was called Worn Out Workers....WOW.   Maybe I should make that a group to join on Facebook.   I'll bet there'd be millions of members.

Anyway on one of the last days in Brussels, I tracked down an open mike night at a "blues club."   I walked in the door and was met by extraordinarily friendly bass player from north africa in dreadlocks.   Yes there was a piano.   Yes I could play.   Then met the guy in charge.....he was a piano player expatriot from NYC.   He apologized for and showed me the piano.   Asked me if I wanted to play.   I did.   The club was full, the people were rockin', the bass player played along and I think it sounded great.    MISTAKE!   I think the piano guy did not like the competition.   When the real open mike started up, he wouldn't let me back to play....with a variety of excuses, etc.   Who said musicians weren't raving egotists.

I had a good time anyway.   Nice people in the club.   There was an Italian singer who was pretty dramatic.   I came home with a key chain with her picture and blurb for her band.   She was a kick!


No comments:

Post a Comment