Saturday, November 13, 2010

College dalliance

In the fall of 1962 I was starting college at Haverford.   I was dating a young lady  (from Ohio I believe) who attended Bryn Mawr.  I  had fixed up a friend with another Bryn Mawr young woman and they hit it off (and later got married.)

The two couples took off on what felt to me like a wild adventure sometime during that winter.   The friend must have had a car, because we drove to New York City and then stayed out at his house (parents were away) out on Long Island.

Here's what I remember:

It seemed to be night for the entire trip....the drive, NYC, the "island"   I have no memories of daylight.

We went to the Five  Spot in NYC and heard Charlie Mingus.   He was a true force and power.   He refused to play when he thought the crowd got too noisy.   I was incredibly impressed.   He was one angry man.   Black Power.   There's a great video about him, which I've seen on TV a few times.

We got to the Long Island house.   So many dilemmas...where to sleep, how to sleep, what to do, alone with an attractive woman.   Understand it was risque and "not done" to be alone at night with someone of the "opposite sex."So much tension around what today would be a no brainer.

Does the reader want to know the denouement?   Suffice to say I and she remained virgins.   But the suspense was delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment