Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hi-Fi (not five)

My parents were big classical music fans.  In the early 1950's they had a custom HiFi set made for our living room in Newark.   The cabinets were custom made of some very blonde wood in that 1950's Swedish modern style (Nina, eat your heart out!)   Well the part with the sound components sat on one side of our couch against the wall and the other big unit with a huge speaker sat on the other side.

The compoenent side had an upper door for the tuner/amplifier.   The bottom door revealed a turntable that pulled out to operate.

Well  this thing could push out a lot of volume.   IT WAS LOUD!

Saturday mornings were radio morning for me.   First I listened to live radio dramas.    I remember one called Smilin' Ed's Buster Brown Show.   There was a character called Froggie.   I remember for some reason, the other folks on the show said something like, "Pluck your magic twanger froggie."   Strange what sticks.

Well after dramas, I listened to records.   Sometimes it was Gilbert and Sullivan, Pirates of Penzance or HMS Pinafore.   (I had learned all the words by attending teaching concerts of these at the Mosque with my mother.)   Sometimes I listened to operas and followed along in the text.   My favorite then was Aida.

Other times I listened to symphones or ballets.   Then I would dance around the living room in the sunlight streaming in the windows.   Now it's come full circle.  While on line this morning I heard some totally get up and dance Norteno on the HIFI and right now I think I'll go downstairs and dance around in the sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment