Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ode to a newly purchased C Melody Saxophone

You sit in mostly mystery in the rocking chair
I could not bear to hide you in your battered case
Not for the batteredness, but for the intheclosetness.

A few shrieking notes from my mouth
A fine piece of 19th century engineering
Rods, pads, pivots, springs,
modifications to tonalities and overtones


On the low notes I feel the vibration right in my hip
On the high, I note that tone is not just a matter of your mechanics
But our mutual understanding and singing (currently lacking)


Like a new lover, I dare to wish for the music
That we might take and make together

Will we go there?
Will you help me?
Will we practice?
Or...will I betray you for accordion once more

Do you love me?
Do I love you?

hmmmmm
hummmmm

1 comment: